Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Calling all carpet-owning consumers!

I need a new vacuum. I have never purchased a new vacuum before. What do I want? Please. Somebody tell me.

Here is what I know:

Dysons are cute. I don't think cute is an important part of being a vacuum. They are also veeeery expensive.

I own a Bissell. We got it for our wedding, but now all the attachments are lost, and it smells like a wet dog. Funny, as we have never owned a dog.

Dirt Devils seem cheap. Also a little satanic.

Another consideration is that there are a million stairs in my house. Would a cannister vacuum make navigating the steps easier?

One more question: What is the deal with the HEPA filters and the bagless vs bagg-ed?

I look forward to your insight.

14 comments:

amydear said...

I like my bagless vacuum with HEPA filter (that I haven't changed in years but should because I'm allergic to dust). We got it at Costco for about $130 and it's lasted a good 6 years with no problems whatsoever. We have lots-o-stairs too, but I just lug the thing up and down. It's not too bad. I like a vacuum with a good light. : ) Emptying the dust/gunk out is easy, but can be a little messy. It's better than having to remember to buy vacuum bags, though, I think. And you always know when it needs to be emptied. It's also quite satisfying (or gross) to see the dust build up and know you are actually vacuuming something up. You can also see stray Legos. Wow. I have a lot to say about vacuums.

vcsings said...

Dear Mandy, I have tried every kind of vacuum except the very expensive ones. Bissels and Dirt Devils are cheap and don't work very long. Hoovers seem to last the longest. I tried bagless thinking I would like it , but they do not have the same suction power as a bagged one.They come in uprights with long hose attatchments for stairs. Also, if you can, try to get one that sends the stuff directly to the bag and not past the motor. little hard things can ruin the motor if they get there. This happened to one of mine. Good Luck!MOM

Swordfish said...

I have a great vacume for you. I bought an Eureka The Boss about 7 years ago from a speciality store and I loved it. It finally gave up this year, but for 7 years I never had a problem with it. Even better now you can buy it at Wal Mart. It has a bag and the suction rocks. In fact my mother just bought one on my suggestion and she loves it. The bags are cheap and it has the filters and stuff you can just rinse out and reuse. My friend has a dyson and it isn't all it's cracked up to be. It is expensive and when/if it breaks down it is very very expensive to fix.

EmilynDev said...

You should maybe look at Overstock. They have alot of different models in all price ranges. A Dyson will suck up the threads of your carpet if you dont have a nicer carpet!

Amy D said...

We're in the market for a new vacuum as well, so I'm going to spy on the advice you get from others. Let me know what you get and how you like it.

Jen said...

I heart, heart, heart my dyson. It's cute and totally sucks at the same time. And, it's easy to empty, and you need to believe Mr. Dyson when it says it won't lose suction. It's worth the money. I guarantee it.

Swordfish said...

I also suggest you check out Good Housekeeping, that is how I found the Eureka "the boss" it got top ratings from them. they will help with the difference between bagless and bags and such.

Kristen said...

I ditto jen, we LOVE our dyson!! well worth the moolah.

Jen Demaris said...

Hey Mandy! Found your blog linked to some others in the ward...Cute pics! Just thought I would let you know I visited and so glad you are a blogger! ;)

Jenn said...

Wow, like I need to add anything, but I love the bagless ones. I agree with amypete that it's kinda neat and gross to see all the stuff that gets sucked up. It's also so helpful when you hear something go in that shouln't have! We have a subscription to Consumer Reports.com if you want to use that for more info! Let me know!

BigEd said...

Mandy, you may not remember me, Jenn Daines (from highschool - I was in Michael's class), but I hear we just moved into your territory. I would love to pick your brain about the area, and get in on your soccer games if possible, you can email me at jddiehl@gmail.com - look forward to hearing from you. Oh, also, I love my Eureka (bagless, HEPA, and attachments - but it is heavy)

Mandy said...

I hear the bagless vacuums in general don't have as strong as a suction as the bagged, except for the Dyson. I have several friends and my brother who have Dysons and they swear by them. THough they are expensive but should last a long time. We just have a Hoover Windtunnel that seems to do the job, but could be a bit better. Good luck!

Mandy said...

nbThanks for the tips, everybody! I did a little bit of homework, and between your suggestions, epinions, Consumer Reports and Good Housekeeping, we chose a Eureka The Boss SmartVac. It was rated a Best Buy by Consumer Reports, and nobody really had anything bad to say about them. Plus, it was only $150! Combine that with a 20% off coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond, and it was a good deal.
I've only used it once, but so far so good!
Jen and Jen, I'm glad you found my blog! Jen Daines, I'll e-mail you and fill you in on PDX.

Phoebe said...

I realize I am weighing in late on this one.
We have "The Boss" vacuum as well. I like to listen to Springsteen when I use it. My FIL found it on consumer reports. Although I am wishing that we had a canister vac right now...too late!