Have you seen these Amy Butler fabrics? A friend turned me on to them (thanks Raina), and just looking at them almost makes me want to learn how to sew. I'm planning to purchase a few yards of some (maybe this one:)

for a project that only involves stapling. I'll post a pic when said project is done (knowing me it may not happen until July, so don't hold your breath.)
I went into Starbucks the other day for lunch. It was a sheer effort of will to walk in, because Panera is right next door, but I couldn't say no to free lunch. People from work keep giving Michael Starbucks cards as gifts, and then he kindly turns them over to me. I don't believe I've ever had a sandwich from Starbucks before. Ew! Why didn't anybody warn me? I think I would have found my shoe to be more savory. Perhaps I'll use the remainder of card balance to buy CDs. Maybe this one:

I know you've all been waiting anxiously for me to post another recipe that I've doctored. I'm quite pleased with the way this one turned out.
Here is the original:

Grammy's Chocolate Cookies
Courtesy: marthastewart.com
Makes about 100
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup Dutch cocoa powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/4 cups (2 sticks plus 4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
* 2 cups sugar, plus more for dipping
* 2 large eggs
* 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Directions
1. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, 2 cups sugar, and eggs on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla, and mix to combine. Gradually add dry ingredients, and combine with mixer on low speed. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and chill until dough is firm, about 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with Silpat baking mats. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Dip top of each ball into sugar. Place on prepared baking sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until set, about 8 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Now, here is my version. I am not claiming that it is low-calorie or healthy, just better.
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
3/4 cup Dutch cocoa powder (Dutch really is so much better, but regular will do in a pinch)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 sticks butter at room temperature
1/2 cup canned pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 heaping cup sugar, plus more for dusting
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
Sift together dry ingredients, set aside. Beat together butter and sugar until creamed, about 2 minutes. Add pumpkin, beat till combined. Add eggs and vanilla, beat. Reduce speed to low, gradually adding flour mixture. Beat to combine. Cover and chill about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350. Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Roll each in granulated sugar. Place on cookie sheets 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until set, about 10-12 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool.
5 comments:
Iam dying to know what project your going to do! I also had no idea the Starbucks sold sandwiches. I do love their hot chocolate! I am going to try your cookies this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
You're pretty funny!! I was reading through a few of your posts and I laughed a few times. I knew I liked you but, to be honest, I didn't know you were so witty. I like it!!
Ya, I'm pretty sure Starbucks isn't known for their sandwiches :) We gave the one Starbucks card we received to one of Clint's coffee-drinking work buddies. He was very grateful, and so were we!
Good Cookies Mandy. I found pumpkin at Target! The kids LOVE them. Please post any recipies you want to share!
Hey- you know all you have to do is find a pattern and buy the fabric and send it all to me, and I will make you anything you want... I know it isnt quite as fun as making it yourself, but.... lol
Post a Comment