Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Trying Something New


From Wikipedia: Ethiopian cuisine characteristically consists of spicy vegetable and meat dishes, usually in the form of wat, a thick stew, served atop injera, a large sourdough flatbread, which is about 50 centimeters (20 inches) in diameter and made out of fermented teff flour. Ethiopians eat with their right hands, using pieces of injera to pick up bites of entrées and side dishes. No utensils are used.

From Mandy: We went out with Michael's visiting brother and sister. They like exotic food, hence, Ethiopian. Here is the problem with our Ethiopian dining experience. I feel guilty eating so much, because they are hungry a lot in Ethiopia. I felt like I shouldn't be eating hungry people's food. The food was good. Not delicious, I'll crave it for three weeks delicious, but good. I'm glad I can say I've had it. Plus, I can't complain about any night that I go out without kids.
I used my left hand. I didn't know until after that in Ethiopia your left hand is supposed to be reserved for other . . . uh, dirtier tasks. Don't worry, I washed both hands before eating. It is a habit I have.

6 comments:

amydear said...

So, what do you do if you're naturally left-handed? I, too, am in the habit of washing both of my hands. There is an Ethiopian restaurant here too; maybe we'll try it.

vcsings said...

Ethiopian?!?!?! Uhh, No! I like my fork and spoon thank you very much! I hope you had lots of fun though. It is great to get out with the grownups once in a while.
Love MOM

Amy D said...

Good for you for being daring! It reminds me of the Bedouin food we ate with our hands in Israel. Glad you got a night out without the kids.

Kristen said...

Thats hillarious. I;ve never tried the food, you are one adventurous lady Mandy!

Crawdad said...

I prefer sushi!

Baco said...

I thought the food was great! I'll definitely go back.