Tuesday, June 17, 2008

For the Bibliophiles

I just finished reading Three Cups of Tea, and I can't stop thinking about it. I can't stop thinking about how there is a whole world full of cultures and customs that I'll never begin to comprehend in this lifetime. I can't stop thinking about how lucky I am to have been given a free education as part of my birthright as an American citizen. I can't stop thinking about how being a woman in America means that I am just as good as a man. I can't stop thinking about the luxuries I enjoy . . . carpet, a refrigerator, books, superior medical care, grocery stores, running water, computers, electricity, showers, and safety in my own home.

Greg Mortenson is a remarkable humanitarian doing remarkable things (through the Central Asia Institute) that most of us didn't even know needed to be done. There are some things discussed in this book that I am not going to pretend to understand. The political side of the War on Terror in Afghanistan is something I haven't educated myself very well on (that will change). So, I guess I am recommending this book with the caveat that the reader will explore the topic beyond this book, which shouldn't be too difficult, considering that the Taliban is in the news yet again.

1 comment:

Swordfish said...

I will think about reading such a "deep" book right now. Being as busy as I am, I prefer light reading when I get home to help unwind, but I will put this on my list.