Tuesday, July 29, 2008

El Futbol

The cool thing about four year old girls is that they actually have an athletic advantage over the boys at this age. Sure, most of that advantage stems from the fact that she will listen to the coach and follow the instructions while the boys are playing with grass, dirt, bugs, dandelions or trying their hardest to kick each other hard enough in the shins that it hurts through the shin guards, but it is an advantage nonetheless.
The wannabe on the sidelines.
Hey, you! Aren't you are supposed to be on the sidelines!?! Who is this kid's mother?
The funny thing about sports at this age is that there are endless possibilities for each little athlete. I met a few moms who were absolutely convinced that their child was the next Pele. Even the Mom of the kid who spent the entire five-day class in the corner of the field picking his nose had pretty high aspirations for his future soccer career.

However, since Alice's skills are so clearly superior to everyone else's, I have already began to instruct her as to the impropriety of tearing her shirt off (a la the 2004 US team) after winning the gold medal in the Olympic Summer Games. I'm sure this lesson will pay off in 15-20 years.

4 comments:

Swordfish said...

I love little kid soccer. I would be sorry to disappoint all the other mothers out there, but I am pretty sure I have the next big US soccer star in my house.

Just Kidding. Love Alice's sun glasses.

vcsings said...

Sorry, I can't help but say it. I remember watching Brianna playing soccer that year. She was "prancing" from play to play. Reminds we of watching Mandy run track, I thought I was watching a deer run, "bounding" down the track. I guess that is what you get when you mix dancing with sports!

MegaPPod said...

She should join our team. She could probably teach us all a few moves!

vcsings said...

Just so you know, the first comment is from dad. He has trouble getting on some blogs and uses my account sometimes.(Lydia too). Other than that, the memory is about the same. MOM