Sunday, July 20, 2008

Shoes Again, It is a Sickness.

The school shopping has begun.
I love, savor and thoroughly enjoy school clothes shopping. I get all kinds of warm fuzzy feelings when I hand over the plastic to pay for clothes that testify that my children will eventually be going back to school. I just want to sing.
I like to shop. I like to buy cute things. But I like it even more when they are things that we need. Because otherwise, I feel guilty. Like I am living beyond my means. Like I am supporting child labor in Asia. Like I am contributing to over-full landfills. Like I am personally responsible for global warming, underfunded public schools, empty food banks, famine, pestilence, endangered and extinct species, the war in Iraq and the high price of oil.
But putting clothes on the bodies of my children is necessary. Mandatory even, because I would not like to have to justify their nudity to Child Welfare Services. So, I have less guilt about the purchases, and if those purchases are on sale, then I am radiating a glow of contentment and peace for days.
The warm fuzzy feelings come from the memories I had shopping for school clothes as a kid with my sisters, mom and grandma (it was always a family affair). Every July we'd plan a day trip and shop for hours.
I've been trying to share the joy of the hunt with Seth and Alice, but they don't get it. They don't understand the significance of 30% off. They don't even understand the significance of 70% off. All they know is that they wear clothes. Come on guys, work with me here.

Alice did get excited about these shoes I got for her at the Anniversary Sale, but when I told her that they were too big, they wouldn't fit until school started, she got a little perturbed. She wants to wear them right now. I guess I can see why, I mean look at them, they will go perfectly with a princess dress.
And they are only the coolest shoes in the history of the world. Gosh, I wish I was four years old, because I would look so great in those.

Instead, I got these for myself in black. Nice, sensible shoes. Darn me! When did I get so sensible?

15 comments:

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

The leather is cute..dont get me wrong, but I think you need to reconsider and get the Dawn Earles, those are fantastic princess shoes..and afterall, fancy shoes are a necessity to any princess...just something to think about :)

Tamy said...

Cute shoes, We just started school shopping. Autumn is dying to wear the cute dresses hanging in her closet but since they start Aug 5 its not to far away

Mandy said...

Kristen-
I know. I should totally get the sparkly ones for myself. But alas, they only come in kid sizes. We would look so good in matching shoes, Alice and I.
Tamy- school starts August 5th? Holy cow that is early.

ellen said...

I like your sensible shoes! Very cute!!

Amy D said...

I missed that sale because we were out of town last week! I really used to do OK with shopping, but I don't like it anymore. Maybe four boys did it to me! Good for you, though, for finding some very cute stuff.

Swordfish said...

I also have very fond memories of school clothes shopping with grandma. It was better when my mom wasn't there so I could get white clothes. The princess shoes rock, Rainee would love them. The sensible shoes are okay also. You will wear them with a lot of different outfits, so that is a good buy.

Jen said...

I feel that way about shopping, too. Especially when things are tight, as they most certainly are right now! I can just tell Jon, the kids NEED clothes, do you want them to be naked? Unfortunately I can't use the same excuse for myself. All that I need to cloth myself these days is a tent! And, although I am loving summer, Yay that they will be going back to school eventually. I am getting worn out with all of this fun!

Tamy said...

Mandy school is year round here and that is why I didnt put Aspen in Kindergarten last year cause school would have started July 25 and she would not have even been 5. Also I looked up those cute shoes and they were PRICEY! $75 yikes that's alot for kids shoes. I just had to buy Aspen $50 nike cause she has the skinniest feet ever and no shoe fits her and I had a real hard time forking over the cash.

Mandy said...

That is why I bought them at the Anniversary sale. The were $40. Still a lot, but that it what she really wanted to spend her birthday money on. Who am I to argue with a girl who loves fashion?

Tamy said...

Good Deal, Autumn would have loved them also

MegaPPod said...

Maybe you couldn't get the Dawn Earles, but they do sell sparkly shoes for adults. I'm going to have to go with the voters who want to see you something a little more exciting! And yes, I am interested in your trailer and will call to discuss.

Melanie said...

If I were 4 years old and had a pair of shoes like that, I would never take them off. I'd even sleep in them!

Kristen said...

Mandy, I'm dumb. I read your post too fast and thought you had decided on the sensible shoes for Alice instead of the fancy ones. duh. The sensible shoes are awesome :

amydear said...

Um, I know I'm late with my comment here, but I agree 100%. I love shoes, I love back-to-school shopping, and I think those brown shoes are much too sensible. I also think you'll find a way to make them cute!