Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bettering My Home and Garden

Since I've been hanging around the house a lot lately (kids with chicken pox, remember?) I've started to feel a little Ty Pennington coming on.
That white dining table set that I can never keep clean is about to become black. The ceiling fan got a face lift and the upholstery is in the process of being tidied. [Tangent Warning: When we bought the red couches, I was SURE that they weren't going to show dirt. I wanted a dark color for that exact reason. Plus red seemed a little funky, and I was going through a red phase (If Picasso can have a blue phase, I can have a red one). Well, I was wrong. Consider yourself warned. Nothing shows dried toddler snot better than red microfiber upholstery. End Tangent.]

I've been shopping for cheap decor ideas on the internet and have found a few gems. At www.eddieross.com you will meet a man who can work magic with bargains from The Salvation Army. A little paint, a little glue . . . and the guy turns a $4 find into a masterpiece.

At Better Home and Garden's website there is a cool tool called "Color a Room." It allows you to pick a room similar to your own and change colors on the furniture, walls, and accents so you can see what things might look like if you actually got up the guts to paint that coffee table burnt orange. (Me, I'm trying to convince Michael that our knotty pine media cabinet would look splendicious if I painted it a slate blue or dark teal, but so far he's not seeing the vision. I think he knows that after I've painted the table and chairs and put the second coat on the front door I'll be tired of home improvement and move on to Christmas shopping.)
The obnoxious thing about the "Color a Room" tool is that it requires you to sign up as a (free) member to BHG.com. If extra mail annoys you then give them your junk e-mail address (What? You don't have a junk e-mail address? Log onto hotmail right now and register for whatever name you would have picked for yourself had you become a famous rock star.) I told the site that my last name was Fred . . . do you think that little white lie will keep me from getting into heaven?

5 comments:

Tamy said...

Every fall I get the decorating bug...right now I want to paint aspen's room but I am waiting for Rick to build a box to put all of aspen's stuffed animals in. So it could take a while. Just tell michael it is just paint, you can re-paint it if it is awful.

vcsings said...

Be sure to post pictures of your makeovers.In answer to your last question...I hope not. Love MOM

Amy D said...

I don't think there IS a color that hides kid boogs, is there? I love your red couch!

Melanie said...

I've only painted once and decided never to do that again. I have green walls that are a cross between smashed peas and sage. I hope you have better luck on your painting adventures.

amydear said...

Post pics of new stuff! I love to see what people do. And Christmas shopping is almost as fun as home decorating, right? But it's over too quickly.