Saturday, April 25, 2009

Help Wanted: Work Out Tunes

I'd like to solicit your professional opinions on music. Normally I'm a loyal Ella Fitzgerald and Rat-Pack fan . . . but when I work out, I need drive. Here are a few songs currently on the old i-pod's playlist for my run:

Pride by U2
The Distance by Cake
Under Pressure by My Chemical Romance
Beautiful Day by U2
Two Princes by the Spin Doctors
Love Me or Leave Me by Nina Simone
Jump by Van Halen
Sgt. Peppers/ The End - Paul McCartney version
Mysterious Ways by U2

I realize it's a little heavy on the U2, but I love what I love, people . . . and nostalgia drives me hard (I believe I'd like to think I could wear the same size jeans I did the first time I heard Bono croon Mysterious Ways.)

The point is, I need to add a little more spice to my time on the dread mill. I am taking suggestions. I shall be consulting the Genius Bar at i-tunes as well as Pandora for ideas, but I think my favorite songs will come from my favorite people. Don't let me down!

15 comments:

Swordfish said...

I love Cake......if you like them, then I would suggest The Killers. Try Are we Human? It's my favorite right now off their new CD, but their old stuff is awesome to and good to work out to.

Amber! said...

Lada Gaga-Just Dance
Black eye peas- BOOM BOOM POW
The Boy Does Nothing (personal fav)
The Ting Tings- Thats not my name
Let it rock
Single Ladies- Beyonce
Rockafella Skank- fat boy slim
Party People
My life would suck without you
Maneater
When I grow up-pussy cat dolls
\Jumpin Jumpin
Scream (classis Michale Jackson)
Jai Ho-new pussy cat song.. very good..
K, here is a good list to get you started.. I picked out songs thats on my list that are not "bad" but are high energy running songs... gotta listen to The Boy Does Nothing.. its about a boy who can't dance... its funny..
oh anohter song is 99 Red Balloons..
I can email you any songs you want.. just let me know..
and of course the BEST ever cool down song HALLELUJAH (the version that was on Shrek).
AMber

Kristen said...

Okay, almost all my songs to suggest were just suggested by Amber, I love that. The only other suggestion I have is dont you want me baby by the human League (I think??) I also LOVE LOVE "the way I are" by Timbaland I'll try to think of more.

Amy D said...

OK, Mandy. Here are some from my "Workout Mix:"
Walk on the Ocean--Toad the Wet Sprocket
Hard to Handle--The Black Crowes
Walking on Broken Glass--Annie Lennox
Groove is in the Heart--Deee-Lite
One Week--BNL
Jumpin' Jack--Big Bad Voodoo Daddies
Sweet Escape--Gwen Stefani
Black Horse & the Cherry Tree--KT Tunstall
Have fun groovin' to some new tunes! The "dread mill"--I love it!

Amy said...

ohhhhhh fun one!!!

viva la vida (coldplay) -- you had to know I'd suggest that one

single ladies -- beyonce

i beg your pardon -- kon kan

accidentally 4th street (gloria) -- figures on a beach

c*mon feel the noise -- quiet riot

mr. brightside -- the killers

sk8ter boi -- avril lavigne

hey ya -- outkast

head to toe -- lisa lisa & cult jam

dreams -- the cranberries

a little respect -- erasure

queen of hearts -- juice newton (I AM TOTALLY SERIOUS!!!)

hot n cold -- katy perry

circling the sun -- the orange peels

so what -- pink

alright I just realized I could go on forever. good luck and let us all know what you put on that new playlist!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Raina said...

ooo.. this is so fun!!!
My favorites are..

Michael Jackson - PYT, Black & White, Beat it, The Way you Make Me Feel. I just LOVE him!!!

Pink - So What
Greenday - Minority, Basketcase (anything really!)
Weezer - (Anything is GREAT!)
MXPX - Responsibility
SR71- Right Now
The Ataris - So Long Astoria (it's about the goonies which only makes the song that much cooler!!!)
Collective Soul - Heavy
311 - All Mixed Up (watch out for language on some of these ... ooops)
Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It
Maroon 5 - Wake Up Call
MC Hammer - You Can't Touch This
Everclear - AM Radio
Fountains of Wayne - Stacy's Mom

I can't wait to check in on this one more. I'm always up for more music!!! This is a fun post.
Have fun working out.

amydear said...

A few that haven't been suggested. These have got me through MANY a long run. But I need a new playlist, so I'm going to steal some of your suggestions:

Survivor - Destiny's Child
Bubble Toes - Jack Johnson
Starry eyed Surprise - Paul Oakenfold
Since U Been Gone and Walk Away - Kelly Clarkson
All the Small things - Blink 182
Kryptonite - Three Doors Down
So Insane - Smash Mouth
Get the Party Started - Pink

Yeah, these are all kind of old, but they do the trick. Have fun!

Mandy said...

Those all sound great guys! Can't wait to check them all out! Keep 'em coming.

Jen said...

I actually really appreciate this psot for my own ideas. Anyway, I love Freckles by Natasha Bedingfield. A favorite.

Parkside View said...

I have found that my husband's "angry music" (as I call it) works great. Linkin Park has some songs that totally get me pumped, although you have to be careful with some of their lyrics. For some reason, I can always take it up a notch when I listen to "Miss Independent" by Kelly Clarkson, and Creed has seen me through many a mile. Some classic workout tunes come from the "Rocky" soundtracks, you know. I'm like you, though, and I love to run with Bono and the gang! Can you say, Zoo Station!

Jen said...

Lady Gaga is super fun, "Just Dance"
"I like to move it!" From Madagascar,and
"I like em big, I like em chunky" from Madagascar 2? (I must have kids!)
then, I've got "Oh, my Starry Eyed surprise!" Bunkka
"Running" Jason Mraz
"Walk this Way" Aerosmith and Run DMC
"Welcome to the Jungle" G n R

Oh, I have lots more where those came from!

Kristen said...

Okay..I was just listening to my playlist tonight and heard my favorite..its show me what im looking for by Carolina Liar...try it, you'll like it.

Swordfish said...

I am totally going to update my playlist now. American Sweetheart rocks on an eliptical machine, Try Try Again by Aaliah and deffinately anything by Aerosmith or Bon Jovi. I also need some "mean" music sometimes to keep me going but I will settle for complicated fast music, so I now have most of Adam's music from American Idol, it makes me smile.

Team Hanni said...

This is my list right now... a little of everything...

*Won't Go Home Without You 3:51 Maroon 5
*A Little Less Conversation (JXL Radio Edit Remix) 3:31 Elvis Presley
*Promises 4:00 Def Leppard
*Cool 3:09 Gwen Stefani
*Lucky 3:25 Britney Spears
*A Little Respect 3:32 Erasure
*Is It Any Wonder? 3:06 Keane
*The Sweet Escape 4:07 Gwen Stefani
*Titans Spirit (Score) 7:28 Trevor Rabin Remember the Titans
*Cool 3:09 Gwen Stefani
*Animal 4:04 Def Leppard
*Poker Face 3:57 Lady GaGa
*One Minute 3:05 Kelly Clarkson
*Chains Of Love 3:44 Erasure
*Just Dance 4:06 Lady GaGa
*Brandy - Right Here 3:39 Brandy
*Kiss the rain 4:20 Yiruma
*Here to Go 5:33 DEVO Greatest hits 80's
*Let It Rock 3:56 Kevin Rudolf ft. Lil' Wayne -
*Around the World (La la la la La) 3:35
*Dangerous 3:52 Katharine McPhee
*Hold Me Now 4:44 The Thompson Twins
*Just So You Know 3:54 Jesse McCartney
*Cinderella 4:25 Steven Curtis Chapman
*Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) 3:15 Beyoncé
*Nothin' Better to Do 4:27 LeAnn Rimes
*Doctor! Doctor! 4:39 Thompson Twins
*Love in the First Degree 3:32 Bananarama
*sing sing sing 5:07 Benny Good
*Rocket 4:07 Def Leppard
*Disturbia 3:59 Rihanna
*Tatoo 3:59
*Everybody's Changing 3:35 Keane
*Dance Like There's No Tomorrow 3:01 Paula Abdul & Randy Jackson
*Please Don't Stop the Music 4:27 Rihanna
*Star 3:39 Erasure
*Birdland 5:32 Maynard
*Good Thing 3:24 Fine Young Cannibals
*Lemonaide 3:10
*Just walk away 3:09 Kelly Clarkson
*One Step At A Time 3:26 Jordin Sparks
*Theme from "Rocky" 2:32 Erich Kunzel & The Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
*Right Where You Want Me 3:32 Jesse McCartney
*Armageddon It 5:22 Def Leppard
*Take A Chance On Me 3:46 Erasure
*Suddenly I See 3:22 KT Tunstall
*Summon the Heroes (for Tim Morrison) 6:17 John Williams & Boston Pops
*Let's Get Rocked 4:56 Def Leppard
*Walking On Sunshine 4:10
*I Heard a Rumour 3:27 Bananarama
*Leavin' 3:41 Jesse McCartney
*Lucky 3:10 Jason Mraz
*Holiday 3:55 Green Day
*Venus 3:43 Bananarama
*How Do You Sleep? 3:41 Jesse McCartney
*Shake It 3:00 Metro Station
*The Climb 3:56 Miley Cyrus
*In My Arms (Bimbo Jones Radio Edit) 3:46 Plumb
*Eye of the tiger 4:10
*Call of the Champions (The Official Theme of the 2002 Olympic Winter Games) 5:00 John Williams, Mormon Tabernacle Choir & Utah Symphony Orchestra John Williams: American Journey
*Stop! 2:55 Erasure
*Always on My Mind 3:55 Pet Shop Boys
*Viva la Vida 4:01 Coldplay
*2 Stars 2:55 Meaghan Martin *Too Cool 2:50 Meaghan Martin

Melanie said...

I wish I had something to contribute but I never run with my ipod. I'm definitely going to have to steal some of these suggestions.