My most favorite quote ever was when she told the other kindergarteners on the team that "we shouldn't use up all our fastness" by running around too much before the game began.
I tried not to wince every time she skipped over and gave me a sloppy wet hug. I tried not to think about laundry, or how many dogs have probably pooped in that exact spot she just face planted on the grass.
I tried to ignore the fact that Thomas was using my umbrella for a broom, and reminded myself how thankful I was that I hadn't had time to shower that morning. That would have been a complete waste.
I really enjoyed seeing how little the kids cared about the rain . . . how it was a novelty, a treat to be completely soaking and filthy and to have their parents cheering them on anyway.
I also try to remind myself of the joy Seth is having every day at recess as he plays soccer on the swampy elementary field when I have to stain-treat the elbows and knees of all his school clothes. His bliss is worth a couple of ruined outfits. I do, however, have a problem with crusty snot stripes on the sleeves.
8 comments:
You can take mud but not crusty snot? Hmmmmm I know some parents that would take crusty snot over mud and grass stains any day.
It isn't the cleaning of the crusty snot, but the application of the snot to the sleeve that I dislike.
Great post, Mandy. So funny. And, sweet.
Did saving the fastness work? How hilarious! Sounds like she really takes it seriously.
It rained huh?Imagine that!Cute post! Love you!
When are you going to harvest your Hardy Oregonian Children? : ) Mine likes the rain and mud at soccer too!
If you never enjoyed the same pleasure of running around in the mud and rain, you didn't have a proper childhood.
Way to raise hardy kids! I'm a big believer in letting kids be kids. Sweet post.
Post a Comment