Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring Break Pilgrimage to the Motherland

The Hike

The sister-in-law and I drove our six kids and two cars for 14 hours each way without our workaholic husbands.
Thomas barfed 3 times in the car.
The nephew barfed once, but it was big.
So both our cars stank.
Both of our portable DVD players were not functioning.
But the trip wasn't actually so bad, because everyone was happy to be going to Grandma's house.

And then the sick ones were better. Well, the nephew was finally better after a few hours in the emergency room and some intravenous fluids.
We hiked.
We ate KFC.
We fed ducks.
We ignored our kids while they played video games and we caught up with family.

We tied a quilt for my Getting-Married-Sister.
I met her fiancee. He passed inspection, but I didn't get to know him too well because he was WAY more interested in her than in me.
Which is okay.

We scrubbed out rank car seats and hosed down chunky floor mats and prayed that we wouldn't have to do it all over again after the return trip to Portland. Prayers were answered.

We ate my all time favorite ice-cream that is only available in the motherland.

We played Farkel at midnight and made copious jokes about the word "Farkel" that were significantly more funny at midnight than they are right now.

I bowled a 121. Not the best, but I won. So there.

We let the children revel in mounds of attention from their doting grandparents, aunts and uncles.

I finally saw The Blind Side and The Princess and The Frog. I also took in an extremely mediocre The Bounty Hunter. I think I'm done with Jennifer Aniston movies.

I met my brand-spanking new baby nephew. (Note to nephew's parents . . . if you decide not to keep him, I've got dibs.)

Helped my little sister celebrate her birthday by making Better Than Chex cake. She wanted something chocolate and gooey, and I had to oblige.

Bumped into people I hadn't seen in ages, missed some friends that I was really hoping to see.

And I felt like a terrible parent when I had to wrench my weeping children away from their grandparents when it was time to return home. Sometimes a week isn't enough. I guess we'll just have to move back there.

7 comments:

Parkside View said...

I missed you too! (That is assuming that I was one of those friends that you were hoping to see!)

The "no puking in the car" prayers are the best prayers to have answered, by the way. Did you pray also for the DVD players? I would have!

Alisha B. Whitman said...

I'm impressed that you made it through the drive with the puking and all the kiddos and no movies! You're a trooper.

Phoebe said...

I am so sorry about the DVD player!
And we have Farkel-if you ever want to come and play it...

vcsings said...

I'm all for the moving back part!
Sorry that Seth did'nt think he got to say goodbye. Hopefully the next three months will fly by til the wedding and we can see you again.Thanks for making the effort to come! You are a strong lady!Love you all!

Jen said...

Glad it was mostly fun, once you got there. Yuck, puke in the car. I have done that a few times. It's good that your kids have grandparents who you like them to be with. The countdown has begun!

Amy D said...

I so wish we could have seen you! Sounds like a wild trip. Farkel?! I'll have to look into that game. Glad you had a fun trip and that you made it home safely--and without puke. What is it with car trips and puking?

Melanie said...

Driving 14 hours in a car reeking of vomit--wow, you are tough!