Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Evolution of the Dealbreaker


One day when I was a kid at the toy store with my Grandma, I had to choose between the Jem doll and the Barbie and the Rockers doll. I picked Barbie, because she made a record with Kool and the Gang and Jem just made one with Sting. Sorry Jem, but that was the dealbreaker.


When I was in college, one of the guys I liked revealed his true colors on our second date by playing Primus in his car and claiming they were the "best band ever". Definite dealbreaker.

Today I got a new insurance quote from State Farm and they beat our Geico payment by almost 70 bucks a month. My condolences to the little green lizard. I always liked his accent.

Help with my next dealbreaker by answering the Question of the Day: Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey? Please expound. And please still be my friend if I don't heed your advice (especially because I kind of already have my mind made up. But if there is a dealbreaker out there, I sure as heck want to know about it) Really. Please still be my friend.

Unless THIS is a dealbreaker. I mean honestly, I don't even have enough pride to photoshop the hairs out of my nose.

10 comments:

ellen said...

If I was a mini-van mom I'd be driving a Honda Odyssey. You can't go wrong with Hondas. My civic has 173,000 miles and is still a great little car. GO HONDA!!

Parkside View said...

I totally owned a Barbie and the Rockers (sans rockers) so I am sure you will select my van of choice, too! We own an Odyssey and love it. My parents own a Sienna and love it. With either of the two models, I don't think you can go wrong. Depending on the model year, the two go back and forth in the top spot in Consumer Reports. No matter what you choose, go for the DVD player. You will never regret that choice. No DVD player...dealbreaker!

amydear said...

I agree with Parkside View. You'll be happy with either. We got the Sienna because it had the trim package we liked at the price we liked. We really wanted a true 8th seat in the 2nd row middle, which the Toyota had in 2005. If I were to buy again, I'd look at both and choose the trim package and price that worked. I'd also get two sliding doors. But I don't know if I'd get the DVD player. We just use a portable one with two screens for long trips. Works great.

Julie said...

Definitely go with an Odyssey. Before I really started comparing the two, I was resistant to getting an Odyssey, since so many of my friends already drove one, and I wanted something different. However, once I actually started looking, I could see why they're so common! It's just an awesome van. I agree with Amber about the invaluable-ness of the rear entertainment package. Also, the power sliding doors are a must. Good luck with the decision. (You'll totally get an Odyssey :-).)

vcsings said...

I too agree that both the Sienna and Odessy are about equal in greatness! I would choose whichever one gives you the best deal(Toyota might just do that because of the PR hit they took this year)Take the one with the best price and warranty.(And of course...the color you want! I have never had a car that was the color I wanted!)Happy choosing!(Is this purchase imminent?)Love you!

Phoebe said...

You just have to decide what is more important to you. As you know, we almost bought the Sienna, but since I couldn't get 8 seats and leather and dual sliding doors it was a dealbreaker. I had to jump ship and go over to the Honda side to get what I wanted.
Good luck!

MegaPPod said...

Odyssey for the same reasons listed above. However, I am also a frugal Frannie and would agree with the comment made earlier about good deals and Toyota right now.

Val Moir said...

Kia Sedona, I know it isn't one of your choices, but I own one, and love it!

Amy D said...

I am a huge fan of Hondas and we have loved our Odyssey. However, my friend has a Toyota and loves it too, so I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. Our Honda has a ton of miles on it and still runs perfectly.

Vixie said...

I like our Odyssey. Since we just bought my mom's we didn't really look around a lot. However, I am glad that we don't have the entertainment system, I don't want to create that battle on a regular basis. I also really like the dual sliding doors and that would be a must for me.