Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Consider

Before I had kids I swore no child of mine would ever go out in public with snot crusties under their nose.

My children would never play video games and only watch educational nature programs on television.

They would always eat a wide array of fresh vegetables with their dinner. My kids wouldn't even know that Cheetos exist.

Our family would shun all commercial super-hero and or cartoon-like characters.

My children would always speak in whisper-soft tones at church. They would only WALK in hallways, and never touch anything with sticky hands.

The only phone calls I'd ever receive from principals and/or teachers would be to praise my child's excellent academic prowess or to commend their compassion and general helpfulness toward other students.

In their spare time they would solve crossword puzzles, practice and master a myriad of difficult instruments and generally excel at sports.

Needless to say, I've faltered on almost all unrealistic counts. I think my kids are doing fine anyway. Actually, despite the huge void left by a lack of Cheetos and Ding-Dongs in their lives, I think they are pretty well-rounded. I guess I just had to walk a mile in a mother's shoes before a snot encrusted reality hit.


Maybe I've been thinking about expectations and understanding this week because of an incident on the school bus. Seth came home last week exclaiming that all the kids on his bus were SO loud that the bus driver had to go to extreme measures. He stopped the bus, told the kids he'd be getting out for two minutes and that they could be as crazy as they wanted. When he got back on, they were all to be completely quiet. Seth bragged that in that two minutes he managed to climb over seats, sit in the driver's seat and pretend to drive and yell as loud as he wanted. He said it was the best bus ride of his life. When the driver got back on, everyone returned to their seats and were quiet as church mice for the rest of the ride.
The next day that bus driver lost his job.
I'm feeling conflicted about this. It was definitely not the way I would have handled the situation myself (but then, I've never been a bus driver). However, I have to feel sorry for somebody who loses a job in this economy, especially somebody who was trying to do what they thought was right.
And I think my former expectations regarding parenthood might reflect how easy it is to judge someone else's job performance.

Thoughts?

And a quote of the day from Modern Family (which I don't typically watch, but happened to catch this tidbit as I flipped by): "I'm a MOM in Hawaii with her FAMILY. It's not a vacation, it's a business trip."


P.S. to the non-believers . . . There comes a point in a child's cold where if you continue to regularly wipe the nose it turns into an act of cruelty.

7 comments:

vcsings said...

BEST BLOG I HAVE EVER READ!This should be in the newspaper. I agree that it was harsh to fire the driver,but it could have been dangerous to let your 8 yr old son drive the bus. btw, I totally remember you looking at your younger siblings and saying"Why do you LET them do that? My kids are never going to do that!" Even though your kids are ADORABLE, I just have to say,Welcome to reality! Love you bunches! MOM

Jenn said...

Okay, so the quote from Modern Family just hit home...since we just got to St. George! It's true!!
Also, I have to agree 100% about the nose wiping being cruelty. Kaylie has had a runny nose for 2 weeks, and her nose makes me want to cry! It's so red and chappy!
Isn't it funny the things we think we will have control over...and then reality hits?! :D I'm waiting for it to hit my sister...she keeps saying how her kids will never be as wild and noisy as mine! ;D

Jen said...

Love your mom's comment. So cute. I love this blog, too. I agree on the nose crusties. I was bound and determined on that one too, but making them cry and bleed is worse, and being a mom is sometimes picking between bad and worse. I love Modern Family. You should watch it all the time. You would feel much better as a parent in general if you did. AND, I am sorry about the bus driver losing his job, but it seems scary to get off the bus and let the kids go crazy depending on where you park it, if you leave the keys in, etc. Miss you guys! See you next week.

BigEd said...

Perfectly said. I think we have become a little to tightly wrapped when it comes to parenting and child rearing. I think firing that bus driver was a little out of line. I can't keep control with my two kids, let alone a bus full of them. I can't even imagine. I suppose that the bus driver could turn it back around on all the parents and blame them for raising such terribly behaved kids, or we could just agree that sometime all kids just stink.

Anonymous said...

i really enjoyed your post mandy. :)
especially about the bus driver losing his job.
i find it interesting that just last fall in that very same town of yours chloe's bus driver actually shut the door on her foot as she was getting out, and i wasn't even made aware of it until chloe brought it up to me how her foot was hurting.
i even went as far as to make a personal visit to the bus barn and make a small comment to the person in charge, just so they were aware and could maybe mention it to him so that it wouldn't happen again to other children.
she was glad i had mentioned it to her, because apparently there were reports of other town's bus drivers actually closing the door on children's legs which led to the child being dragged down the street until the bus driver noticed.
and my bus driver wasn't fired.
it is interesting that they would fire him for just going outside the bus, but then again i do understand leaving the keys inside probably wasn't the best idea on his part.
that's my 2 cents. :)

Raina said...

Oo... this bus driver situation is tough! Sometimes you don't realize that it is a bad idea until you see monkey's hanging from ceilings and really loosing it. :D Although... I'm pretty sure my kids would have been the one trying to press every button and crawl over every chair too! ALSO.. love love love the quote!

Amy D said...

I love your reality. I totally remember looking in my aunt's car when I was babysitting and thinking that MY car would never be that dirty. I have certainly eaten my words since then. I love all your little "morsels" and stories from a real-life Mom. You're awesome!