They heeded her warnings and flew off to bigger things.
Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Animal Activist
For Alice's birthday, Michael's parents got her a butterfly pavilion where she could raise caterpillars into painted ladies. Michael helped her order the caterpillars online, but by the time they shipped, spent a week as caterpillars and another week in their chrysalids, it was time for us to go on our camping trip.
We didn't get to see them emerge from the chrysalids, but when we returned from Olympic, here is what we found:
We were going to have a big party and invite Alice's friends over to watch her release them after we'd kept them for a while, but after about a week, one morning we woke up and three of them were dead. So Al panicked and ran the pavilion outside, opened it and stood there yelling motivational things like "Emerge! Escape! Fly free before you DIE!" to the remaining seven butterflies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
So those things actually work? I'm going to have to try that now. I don't know that my boys would enjoy watching the metamorphosis as much as I would, though.
That is too cute that she shouted "Emerge!" Yep, that's gotta be Mandy's child!
I thought the same thing when she said "emerge" that has to be Mandy's child. How precious
Those things are so much fun. Our boys love them. The whole "emerging" thing happens really fast, so I'm not surprised you missed it. If you're not right there watching it when it happens, you can totally miss it. Glad you had fun camping though!
I don't think my boys would ever be able to let their butterflies free. oh, how they have begged me for that kit!
She's adorable. What a great gift idea, and glad that you were able to save a few of them. The devastation could have been immense. Hope you are all well!
I have always wanted one of those. It is a good lesson on the circle of life!
She should get an award;)
Post a Comment