Monday, October 17, 2011

Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails

Today I cleaned out the kid's rooms. Really cleaned. Like desk drawers, lego bins and the old shoeboxes full of their most precious treasures.

It is fascinating to see what each of them keeps. For example, one of Seth's desk drawers is stuffed with a thank you note from his fourth grade teacher, about 50 old gum wrappers (when I asked him what all the wrappers were for, he said he likes how they smell), tiny scraps of paper that were scrawled with completely unintelligible writing (he tried making up a new language . . . I guess these were the flashcards), one dirty sock, some sports medals, several unsharpened pencils with used erasers on their ends, and a handful of partially assembled Lego guys.
His next desk drawer down was empty except for one tennis ball.

Alice has a treasure box under her bed that is filled with shiny rocks, seashells, plastic rings (the kind kids get off the top of cupcakes at birthday parties), the ticket stubs from when she saw Annie and Mary Poppins, stickers, a tube of glitter and an unfinished attempt at crafting a daisy out of a drinking straw.

It is funny how the things they save are such an accurate reflection of their personalities.

Well then. What does it say about me that I have a basket on the shelf in my closet containing an old curling iron, some loose change and half a dozen paperback books geared toward teenagers with an old Krispy Kreme coupon for a bookmark?

2 comments:

Holly said...

So now I am thinking about the things I keep? What did you let them keep and what did you make them throw away? I always have a hard time defining what is truly junk and what is treasure. I don't want it to be traumatizing for them but come on, we can't keep it all!

Amy D said...

Those collections from Seth sound exactly like our boys. Too funny! It's quite an undertaking for you to clean all that. I'm impressed!