Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Kids Are Already Writing Their Letters To Santa, And I Haven't Even Started Listening to Christmas Music Yet

This is how I feel.

Like I'm a mean one.
Like my heart's an empty hole.
My brain is full of spiders,
I've got garlic in my soul.
When I tell them, they won't want to touch me with a
thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole.

I'm a vile one, Mr. Grinch.
There are termites in my smile.
I have all the tender sweetness
Of a seasick crocodile.
(Please accept my apologies for altering your lovely lyrics Dr. Suess)

Because Seth wants a Nintendo DS Lite for Christmas.
And Alice wants a life-sized sparkly remote control pegasus pony that really walks and flies.

And I'm the Grinch because they can't have those things.

On the bright side, when Alice was drawing the flying horse for Santa, it came out looking like a fish. She has decided that a pet fish would be fine too.
Let's hope she doesn't want a flying one.

12 comments:

Heather said...

Very cute! Sydney hasn't stopped talking about Santa for the past 4 days. She keeps telling me that Santa is going to come watch a movie and play with her. That order might be easier to fill than Seth's and Alice's requests :)

Tamy said...

My kids want it all but not really. I ask them what they want and they cant tell me, but they want everything in the store. So I am at a loss. My motto in my house is, "You get what you get and you dont throw a fit!"

Jen said...

I love it! I feel the same way. Gone are the days when Olivia just asked for a ball every single year (and she did that until she was FOUR!). She made this big list, the first week of OCTOBER and then the other day added, "and an American Girl doll." Good luck with that, sister. She doesn't even dare ask for video games. Oh well.....oh, and we gave up on our fish raising, so we have a 10 gallon tank with all the accessories if you are interested in going that route.

vcsings said...

I don't beleive that you are the grinch. You love Christmas as much as I do. The trick to presents for kids that age is to brainwash them into thinking that whatever you happened to find on clearance is just the sort of thing they want for Christmas. (Try it! It sometimes works!)Love MOM

Amy D said...

I love the Grinch, but you are not him! Good for you for not spoiling your kids. You could be like Clint's Mom and give them their school pictures for Christmas. Period. I'm not kidding! It's a famous Duke story.

Raina said...

Wow... they are smart cookies to start asking so soon! I need to start my list. :D
And, I would definitely encourage the fish as well. Much smaller and cheaper I'm sure.

Holly said...

You are so funny! I love reading your blogs, it makes me feel like I am right there with you!

EmilynDev said...

Last year Mitchell had to have the 80.00 Ultimate Bumblee (transformer). We got it for him and he played with it twice.

Swordfish said...

Our kids must be related, my kids are all begging for Nintendo DS Lites also. They are starting to bargain with me saying they want nothing else but those, no other gifts, but then I ask if they want nothing else how would they play their games? Now they are re-thinking what they want. Needless to say we are having a very, very small christmas, pretty much only what their 3 grandma's get them until dad gets a job. Cross your fingers he has a job when he graduates in January.

Jenn said...

Well, Braden wants the new Fisher Price Ultimate Dinosaur - it sells for $129 at WalMart! Good grief! I for one love Christmas, but am EXTREMELY irritated that it's only Halloween (today) and the stores are all decked out in Christmas already! Let's enjoy the holidays as the come, not bring them on two holidays and 2 months in advance!

MegaPPod said...

My hubby is already talking about recycling (or hoarding away) the LGs birthday gifts (Nov) to use for Christmas. I think you're doing just fine.

Mandy said...

Come on Mandy, get the Christmas music out!! Now that Halloween is over I am ready for it! Let us know when you are in town for Christmas and we will have to get together to catch up!