
I saw a TV spot last week about a mom who fed her family of five on something like $25 a week. Of course I thought, "I can do that. Cutting coupons isn't that hard. I am good at working scissors." So I tried it.
First I looked through the 478 pages of coupons that come as inserts in the Sunday paper. I found two coupons that I like . . . one for ricotta cheese and one for mascara. Two coupons is not going to save me $116 a week on groceries, and reading 478 pages of offers was not worth the 3 1/2 hours of my time nor the paper cut and subsequent Hello Kitty Band-Aid.
Then I more closely scrutinized what coupons I passed over. What is this $25/ week lady buying for her family? Half the coupons are for over-the-counter pharmaceuticals! I can just picture her telling little Johnny that he has to eat Prilosec for breakfast because that is what the coupon was for. Poor Johnny. He'll be hungry by recess, but at least his heartburn won't bother him. I did not see one coupon for fruit. That makes me bananas. I spend bunches and bushels of grocery money on fruit.
This woman also bought items at drug stores and mailed in rebates to save money, so I looked into the rebate program. First you to sign up and let them send junk mail to your e-mail address and to your mailing address. Then you have to figure out what is on special in the store that week. Then you have to go there and buy it. Then you have to copy receipts, mail them, wait a few months . . . and finally you get a check in the mail for $2.14. I am too lazy to do this.
I may not need coupons anyway. If the economy tanks any more we might have to move to the barter system. When currency becomes irrelevant I can trade Legos, mismatched socks and the skills of a somewhat-official doctor. Any takers?
13 comments:
I'll take you up on the skills of an official doctor. I can trade you the skills of an unofficial firefighter in case your house goes up in flames......
About the coupon thing, I totally understand where you are coming from. I saw a story on that also and the mom only buys what has a coupon and they eat according to that. whether it is peanut butter and rice or a frozen lasagna and they almost had no fresh food in the house it was all either pantry or refrigerated. she even made them drink reconstituted dry milk. i think that is taking it a little far.
You are such a great writer! I think this is too cute and funny and I'm impressed that you can be so clear. I'll trade you legos for goods any day. :D
I've tried cutting coupons, I have had some really good ones, but never for fresh fruit but some for meats, but my problem is I always forget that I have coupons, or which coupons I do have and then they expired. So I am not very good at it either.
I have tried coupons too,and feel the same frustration... they are never what I need. I guess the trick is to pay 3.50 a gallon for gas and then drive to every store in town, toting three kids, to save a few bucks. I feel your pain!
We tried the coupon clipping for a while, then I realized I was probably spending more in the long run because the coupons are for the more expensive, name brand items we don't usually eat in the first place. Oh well, maybe Jim's skills with an excel spreadsheet will get us through the barter system.
I'm with you on bartering! I do have some skills to barter...I like to mow lawns.... and I even know how to fertilize and trim (3 brothers, part of the lawn family rotation). Very clever idea!
If you will remember, I spent a few years clipping coupons. I had some good results back when nearly every store had a day when they would double the value of your coupon. I got so, if the coupon was not worth at least 50 cents off ,I would not bother with it. Then I found that, at the store, I would often see the store brand was still cheaper, even after using a coupon. I would carry a bushel of ragged scraps (Coupons) in my purse for a few months, just trying to remember to use them. I gave up.
Ya, I never was too good at cutting coupons. I use a few, but it's just not worth it to me to spend so much time for such little savings.
I think you could do the $25/wk thing if you ate rice and pasta the whole week. But I can't even stop by the store to pick up food for one meal and spend that amount. I won't go into how overpriced I think the grocery stores are, but I agree, if you eat decent food, not possible.
Amen to all. I've tried it and either a) spent more money, or b) took waaaayyyy too much time, just to save a couple bucks. I've also tried shopping at multiple grocery stores in one trip. It doesn't work too well.
Once I realized that most coupons were for name brand processed food, I stopped using them. I'm all for the barter system. I'll think of something worth trading!
I saved 25 cents on my grocery bill because I used a coupon. Talk about great savings!! Then I gave Marcus a quarter to put in the gumball machine as a reward for being a good boy. So I guess we broke even.
You had me laughing out loud with this because I too have tried to save money with coupons. It is not really worth the effort unless you happen on to the coupon without any effort. I always forget to take the coupons to the store when I go. You are a funny girl. Your kids are looking so big and they are so cute!
Post a Comment