Monday, December 29, 2008

Top Ten Moments of My Christmas Vacation in No Particular Order

1. Christmas Eve Feast.  We ate all that.  Plus king crab legs, mussels and oysters.  Okay, I didn't eat the oysters.  I've tried them before, but once was enough.  If you are curious about the flavor of raw oysters, imagine swallowing a big gritty loogie and you'll about have it.  (Is that how you spell loogie?)
2. New pajamas and listening to the Nativity story on Christmas Eve.
2. Grandma lets the kids pound their hearts out on her Steinway.  Seriously.
3.  Frosting cookies is not just an activity for our family.  It is an EVENT.  
This is the gingerbread man I frosted.  Don't judge me.
This is the star T frosted.  He ate so much blue frosting that his diaper was green for two days.  (Why does blue food coloring make green diapers?  Experienced moms will tell you that Froot Loops and blue popsicles do the same thing.)
4. We got some quality time in with the Grandparents.  

My Mom explaining gingerbread construction
Michael's dad assisting with Lego construction
5. Alice got a new guitar (which she calls a tik-gar) from Santa.  Her aunt was kind enough to give her a lesson.
6.  We talked with my sister who is on a mission.  When we couldn't figure out how to do a conference call for our out-of-town relatives, we resorted to holding up cell phones to the speaker.
7. Michael and Seth played tag with Seth's new Nerf Dart Tag set.  I like Michael.  He's funny.
8.The kids got their fill of snow.
9. Went to an extended family party.  
10. Ate my Grandma's funeral potatoes at the family party.  She ran out of corn flakes to put on top, so she used Captain Crunch with Crunchberries instead.  This made me so very very happy. Things like this make me feel like I've come home again, even though I haven't lived in Utah in years and years. 

So very very happy.
Addendum: According to the comments, many of you are considering an attempt at this recipe.  Please do not try making funeral potatoes with Captain Crunch at home.  My grandma is the only person on the planet earth who can pull them off. 

13 comments:

Tamy said...

I love the potatoes. So sad I missed it. LOL. Love the cookie pictures. Glad you had a fun vacation.

Colleen Goodsell said...

I cracked up at the potatoes! I would have skipped that step or added bread crumbs!!! So funny! How did they taste?

Team Hanni said...

Thanks for the laugh this morning. Those potatoes look wonderful! The picture of Michael is fabulous! Looks like a wonderful Christmas!

Kristen said...

This recap is so fun to read, I love T's expression with the spoon of blue frosting, thats so classic. Looks like the best time! And I do love funeral potatoes, but I never imagined them with cc crunchberries on top, if you loved them, I just may have to try..what a cute grandma to do that.

Raina said...

This was a GREAT way to show off Christmas!!! I really love the gingerbread man. And, the capt crunch on top... I think I need to make some of this. Great pictures, and yes... Michaels face is priceless in that photo. :D Merry Christmas

Parkside View said...

I loved hearing about your Christmas! Can you believe how much food can be consumed in so short a period of time (including funeral potatoes topped with Captain Crunch-who would have thought)!

Mandy said...

Okay, lets clear this up . . . the only reason I liked the potatoes is because my grandma made them. Coming from anyone else in the entire world would have made them a pass.

vcsings said...

I love this Blog! Can you send these pictures by e-mail to Emily? Thanks for the great Christmas with you and yours! Love you. MOM

Kristi said...

Sounds like everyone loved the crunch berry potatoes picture. We should let grandma know how popular her recipe is.

Swordfish said...

I remember you had tears in your eyes when we realized what grandma put on her potatoes. You are deffinately right, only our grandma could pull that off, and it should not be reproduced.

Amy D said...

Thanks for the lift, Mandy. So many things on your post made me smile. Blue frosting does, indeed, make for green diapers. And Captain Crunch on funeral potatoes? Sounds like Clint's grandma. Have we told you the story of when we were first dating and she made us turkey sandwiches on cinnamon rolls? Yum, not! Clint would agree that raw oysters taste pretty nasty. And I love your gingerbread boy. Thanks for giving us a taste of your holiday. Wish we could have seen you!

Melanie said...

I can't get over the funeral potatoes. Did people really eat them? I will have to make a batch for my next church potluck.

Jen said...

Love the potatoes.

I just privatized my blog. Couldn't find your email address, although I know you posted it on my blog at one point. Can you send it to me at jen_swenson@byu.edu? Thanks!