Monday, January 26, 2009

Feel Sorry for Me. Or Don't. It's Up to You.


January. I know you feel it too. Get thee hence, January.

Michael has been on call or at a conference every weekend this month.
I really could have used him right about yesterday morning when, right before church (seriously interweb readers, we were all dressed, my primary lesson was 100% prepared and my hand was on the front doorknob) when Alice blew chunks. And then, she was magically all better.
But we skipped church anyway (who wants to take that chance?) and the kiddos climbed the walls, swung from the chandeliers, and made every attempt to begin World War III in our living room.
Naturally I neglected and ignored the children and read an entire book in one afternoon.
Sunday dinner was peanut butter sandwiches. Really people, why cook if I'm the only one who eats it? The kids only eat three types of food each (three different types for each child, which complicates things), so why cook something that is going to be met with stares, tears, and tales about how Grandma once let them eat Lucky Charms for dinner?

When I entered my Sunday afternoon read in my Goodreads account, I realized that all of January has been this way. I have read nine books in three weeks. Normally I wouldn't complain about it . . . but I really think it is time for me to get out more. I think I need Michael.

When Gloria Steinem said that "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" I don't think she meant that if I were a fish I'd be shopping for a Schwinn. However, that is exactly how I see it.

Boo hoo. Now back to your regularly scheduled sunny programming.

14 comments:

Kristen said...

I loved reading this..although I hated hearing about the goings on. I feel the exact same way about January..I hate it for most of the month! sorry you have been a single mom lately, I feel that way too...your blog postings keep me sane!

Josie said...

Glad im not the only one who finds something to do while she is suposed to be tending to the children.... haha- wish I had enough time left in the day to read!

Alisha B. Whitman said...

I'm sorry he's been gone so much - I don't know how you do it, really. Your kids' grandma is not allowed near my girls at dinner. Cooper's nearly always gone for dinner because of class or late work so I totally understand - we often have pancakes, scrambled eggs, plain noodles or the likes!

amydear said...

I love good books. I haven't been reading as much the past two weeks and miss it. I hope your husband is home more. But I doubt it. And I'm sorry about the chunks. We had lots of those blown here last week too, and more poo than I care to discuss. I will come and take you out! Let's go shopping and spend money we don't have.

vcsings said...

Wish you were closer and we could do something together on those nights when you are left alone. I remember my dentist,when he heard Michael was going into medicine, asked if you were the independent type who could handle things on your own alot. I assured him that you were. He said "Good, because no wife will make it through med school and internship if she is not strong." Thank goodness you are!
Take heart! Only 4 1/2 days left in January! Love you! MOM

Tamy said...

Mandy,
I think I am getting a very slim taste of what you been going through all these years and I mean slim! Rick has been work, school or gone all of January and he just told me last night that he will be in San Diego all next week. Fun stuff and I too have read about a dozen books this month. I hit the library about twice a week. LOL thanks goodness it is almost over. Hang in there I'm praying for you.

Jen said...

I feel sorry for you, I feel sorry for me, I feel sorry for every mom in the world who tries so hard and then their kids puke or turn their noses up at everything placed before them. We need to hook up more when both of our husbands are gone, or you should bring your kids over on a weekend for a few hours so you can at least grocery shop. At least you are keeping your mind sharp with those books. Mine is jello, I can't remember the most common of words...oh well. Keep posting. I think your awesome writing must be a form of therapy for you!

Swordfish said...

I hear your pain. I have done that for Scott when he had shows to attend or otherwise worked 12-15 hour days. now I am on teh other side of things and it sucks also. I bet I can speak for Michael when I say it is just as hard for him to be away as it it for you to handle things while he is away. Hang in there, residency is almost over.

Amy D said...

I couldn't agree more. Goodbye, January, and don't come back for a long, long time. I'm impressed you can read that many books. I don't even attempt it while the boys are awake.

jennis said...

I hear you, Mandy. There have been plenty of times (especially during the bad years of residency) when I've noticed disturbing similarities between myself and the mom in A Girl Named Zippy, sinking into the couch absorbing yet another book, while the kids wreak havoc around me... And I'm totally with you on the no husband, no cook policy!

Jen said...

I know EXACTLY what you're going through. I hate January. And Brian has precisely three days off between December 28th (2008) and February 21st of next month.

Melanie said...

Glad I'm not the only one who reads a book while my children destroy the house. Living life in denial is way better than dealing with the reality of single-parenting. Does anyone cook when their husband isn't there to eat it?

BigEd said...

John was gone for one weekend this month and I was ready for a vacation to the moon, so I am hoping that Feb. is a better bet for you. At least you have made progress on your reading list. Jan was a COMPLETE bust on my end.

BrittanyW said...

Mandy you make me laugh so hard! Your blog is full of great stories and all I have are pictures! You funny girl!