Thursday, February 26, 2009

2nd Grade Basketball

Seth started basketball last month.
It takes a good sense of humor to watch second graders play basketball.

Because sometimes the kids see fit to throw a hail mary pass all the way across the court even though they have an open team mate standing four feet away from them.

Because sometimes your child's team plays a team made up of the spawn of retired NBA athletes who all stand at least two heads taller than your kid.

Because after your kid makes a shot, he misses the next two minutes of the game while doing a celebratory dance under the hoop.

Because every half a minute the game is stopped while the refs have to explain double dribble again.

Because he loves it. (Maintaining the sense of humor is easier when each game begins like this. Isn't it every kids dream to burst out of a smoke filled tunnel to slap hands with a throng of people who are all cheering his name?)

He plays amazingly tight defense (the kid is like a pit bull, seriously).

It all makes the Friday evening 6:00 practice (Oy, vey!) totally worth it anyway.

10 comments:

Jen said...

Are you trying to convince yourself? I think kids' sports are great. I leave O's soccer games feeling a bit frustrated, and then I ask myself, "could I do any better?" It's funny! Way to go Seth!

Tamy said...

Love the action shot, must be with your new cool camera?!

vcsings said...

Cute pictures! Way to go Seth! Don't get too tired of it yet Mandy.The games are only an hour long as opposed to the many all day dance competitions we went to. Youv'e got 20 years of games to go and then the grandkids start to play! Gotta love it! MOM

Swordfish said...

I totally agree with your mom. This Friday night Rainee has one of those very very long dance preformances. IT may not be all day long, BUT it will deffinaly go into the 5-6 hour range. Needless Scott is feeling like he coming down with a cold today, poor baby, he is still going.

Alisha B. Whitman said...

I look forward to those days but it will be hard for me to restrain myself and not be the annoyingly competitive mom who's trying to live vicariously through her kids :) And I so don't remember the smoke-filled tunnels from when I last saw elementary basketball games!

Aspen said...

Great action shots Mandy! And I got a good laugh out of the celebratory dance. :)

Parkside View said...

Thanks for the "heads up" about what I can expect for my boys in their future sports careers (although I admit I have a feeling that everything you just described would take place in any sport participated in with that age group). It still makes me laugh to think about it, though!

EmilynDev said...

GO SETH! I love the picture of him running through the banner HI-5ing everyone! He looks SO happy!

amydear said...

At least your kid will do sports. Mine of a similar age always politely says "no thank you." And he's getting a religious education to boot, so it's a win-win, right? Except for the Friday night thing, anyway.

Val Moir said...

Ha Ha, I really enjoyed this post, it is all true!! Can't wait to join the sports mom club with you!! That last pic is really cool.