This picture of a family gathering has recently surfaced from the past, courtesy of my cousins (also pictured).I'm the one on the right. Yes, I am crying. Since I was a perfectly angelic child, I have been searching for an explanation for my tears in this picture. I have deduced that one of the following must have happened:
a) Charity (the cousin closest to me) pinched me. She denies it, but is an impeccable actress, and the innocent look on her face could easily be feigned.
b) Someone wanted me to eat. I was a notoriously picky eater, a trait my children have inherited and torment me with daily.
c) I was extremely alarmed at the close proximity of my little brother Jordan (pictured at the far end of the table) who couldn't have been much older than three, to the river.
d) I had realized that my bangs took up half my head, and the braids on the other half of my head were too tight.
e) I may also have just been informed of the high probability that as I grew up my hair would darken from a glossy light blonde (I wanted to look like Barbie) to a mousy brown color. This is a fact I am actually now at peace with, but at the age of five (or six?) I would have found distressing.
f) The television network had just canceled Jem and I was in mourning.
g) I couldn't find my favorite cassette with Kool 'n The Gang singing Celebrate and Funky Town.
h) Somebody beat me at Space Invaders on the Atari.
11 comments:
d and f FOR SURE. .... the cause of my young tears too.
you are HILARIOUS.
RE: polka dot bum...
isn't it awful? i truly did not capture that moment intentionally, but someone should have told her stretch pants are out...i wonder what kind of candid shots people have of me and are mocking daily? (y'all actually may have some of my youth...lets keep those locked away shall we?)
This is such a cute picture. I think you did not want to eat the corn on the cob...but who knows!Love you, MOM
"Jem is truly outrageous...truly, truly, truly outrageous! Woah-oah. Jem!"
Why don't they make show theme songs like that anymore? It's classic. I just realized, wasn't the premise of the show kind of similar to Hannah Montana (just without the Missfits)?
Thanks for the laugh!
I'm sure (f) the canceling of Jem!!! How do you think of all this?? You are so creative and funny!!! I love this! I really love the picture too.
Don't you just love that picture. I have lots more if you want them!
As long as it wasn't A i am good with the other answers. If i had been crying it would have been because my mother was making me eat bar-b-que.....I still cant' eat sloppy joes to this day.
I think you must have just dropped your corn cob on the ground and were sad because you REALLY loved corn.
I bet it was the hair... those braids look tight!
Look at little Jer right to my side... he is adorable! Man oh man are we all the most cute kids EVER?!
yes, I think we are...
Maybe you just had a premonition of the years you would spend "loving" your hubby through medical school.
Your hair is such a pretty color! And it still is. Thanks for the flashback.
Post a Comment