Saturday, August 29, 2009

Cramming All The Fun We Can Into the End of Summer

I always fall off the blogwagon a little in the summertime. There is just too much to do outside. And I forget to bring the camera a lot (like for our entire trip to Utah.) Michael remembers, however. So if he's along there are usually pictures to show for it. Here are some shots from our hike last week.
These are Seth's new glasses. He's got the whole Clark Kent thing going on.
Alice asks multiple times a day "How many days until kindergarten?" At least now we are getting down to the single digits in terms of wait time.
Thomas is still trouble. He'd better chill out, because I fully intend to toilet train him as soon as the kids head back to school. I have big plans for that diaper money, people.
He's still too little for pre-school, so some friends and I are doing Joyschool this year. It is called Joyschool, because I will be joyful when it is not my turn to teach.
This is what 100 pounds of peaches looks like on my kitchen counter. I went a little overboard on the peach picking. I usually shoot for about 60 pounds . . . but they were so beautiful and smelled so good I couldn't stop picking. I am tired of canning.
We've been totally enjoying the bounty of our friend's gardens. Vixie showed up with tons of tomatoes, zucchini, squash and cucumbers. The result was amazing over pasta. (I threw in some onions, garbanzos and marinated artichoke hearts too, for fun.)
I know I have a lot of blog catch up to do. Next up: our tenth anniversary and trip to Seattle. I'm going to try to be better . . . but with three separate soccer schedules (mine plus two kids), piano lessons, cub scouts, and school coming up, I can't make any promises.

4 comments:

Parkside View said...

Good thing you have always been capable of cramming. The third child really tips the scale, doesn't it? I'm amazed how busy life got with just one more addition to the equation.

amydear said...

I love that pic of Seth. So handsome! And I am going to can some peaches too, but not 100 pounds. I did get 64 pounds of pears this weekend, though.

vcsings said...

Lovely peaches! I guess we will not get any free-for-the-picking raspberries this year, and I cannot pay for fruit, so I guess our plum jam will be the extent of my canning this year. Lucky for us it was a bounteous harvest of plums. Love you all!

Jen said...

Amazing. I can't believe you canned 100 pounds of peaches!