We need a bigger table. If we add one guest, ours is full . . . and frankly, what's the fun in only having one guest? I became especially self-conscious last week when two of our guests insisted that they were perfectly comfortable sitting on the floor while they ate. I protested, but was hardly in the position to give up my seat as I was perched on top of our vintage school desk next to Redhead the fish.
Images unscrupulously lifted from Craigslist
So I have been browsing (in an extremely non-committal window-shopping type way) Craigslist to see if an affordable upgrade appears. And I have been reminded of my love for the old-school retro style dining sets. I fell for these back in the days when Everybody Loves Raymond was on the tube, and everyone would gather around Frank and Marie's powder blue chrome and vinyl dinette set for lasagna.
I've found this reproduction company that would charge me only a little more than I could get by selling my left kidney on the black market for a custom family size table.
I personally think these sets should make their way back into mass production. The vinyl seats would be a cinch to clean with the kids, and I wouldn't have to freak out about about water rings being left on the formica table top.
Some problems with my dream . . . while extremely affordable, the vintage tables are nearly impossible to find in a size bigger than 62 inches. Also, some of the color combinations can make the sets look a little kitschy (there are a lot of cherry red reproduction sets that I am not interested in). The gray, pale blue and light yellow sets are little more to my taste right now. And lastly, my husband thinks I'm insane for coveting something from our grandparent's era. Am I?
I've found this reproduction company that would charge me only a little more than I could get by selling my left kidney on the black market for a custom family size table.
Sigh.
Image lifted from Apartment Therapy


8 comments:
I am sorry Mandy, but I usually agree with everything you say, BUT I cannot agree with you on the retro table, I guess I am with Michael on this one. We got a bar height table that I LOVE. We can sit 8 but if we add our bar stools we can easily do 10-12. Did i mention I LOVE it? It is the only table we have had the Scott fits in comfortable.
Oohh! I love the yellow table and chair set, and I think all things retro are really in style now. I don't think it will be long before this kind of stuff will be mass produced, and then it won't be so cool anymore 'cause everyone's got it. (Kind of like Girbaud jeans, right?)
I am thinking these tables would be great while your kids are young. It would be so nice to not have to worry about dents and chips. I got mine at IKEA and all I can say about it is it's not worth the money and cheap quality.
I have to agree with Charity - I'm not really into the retro thing. I can however understand your woes of needing a larger table. Thank heaven my parents had to get a bigger one, and we got their old one! :D Good luck on the hunt!
I think you are on to something and I agree with you that the tables are tres chic! Good luck with your search. Tell Michael that old is the new new.
You are kidding right? I was never so glad as when those things went out of style! We had one exactly like the round one in your pictures, and the legs kept falling Off! As a kid I hated the plastic seats that stuck to your legs when wearing shorts and started to sweat if you sat there too long. Ok, I'll admit that SOME of them look cute, but you would have to get a REALLY good quality one to tempt me. Good Luck!
This is so funny. I can actually see where these tables could be cool. I'm not sure I'm that brave, personally. But, I'm not totally against the idea either.
I love the retro table! If I had both a dining area and a kitchen eating area, I'd go retro in the kitchen. SO easy to clean. And the kids have a hard time damaging it. I'm with ya!
Post a Comment