I'm restless. I'm tired of this house. We've never stayed in a house for more than 3 1/2 years before. I feel like we've collected too much stuff, and for some reason, none of it is stuff that I can picture us keeping long term. It feels so cleansing to move things and make space.
Last week we took Bessie the deceased dreadmill to the appliance recycler (anything that I get a lot of mileage out of automatically earns the name Bessie from me. Especially if I feel like I've gotten more use out of it than I paid for. We bought Bessie the dreadmill for $150 used on Craigslist a few years ago and she definitely paid her dues. I'm not sure what piece of equipment will earn the name next, but it is looking like it might be the Kitchen Aid mixer). Old Bessie took up a lot of space. I was originally hoping to replace her . . . but am no longer inclined to house giant masses of hulking metal in my dining room. Instead I grew to desire a larger dining room table to fill the void.
Blast Craig and his rotten list. I think he hides subliminal messages inside of it to cause me to be addicted and I must stalk it night and day to find other people's used stuff that is better than my own used stuff. Blast Apartment Therapy too, for bolstering my mania.
After all the table stalking, I found one. It wasn't even on Craig's Magical List. It was in my friend's house. She too bought a new/used one after stalking Craigslist. And then she named our disease Craigslist-itis. I'd blame her for giving it to me, but I'm fairly confident I've had it ever since we lived in Boston.
In celebration of finding a new/old table for an insanely good price (which reminds me, I still have to pay her . . .) I took down all the art off of the walls and began rearranging last night at midnight. I shuffled knick-knacks and eyed Michael's gargantuan desk with it's two computers, two printers, speakers, scanners and inestimable wires with contempt. Be aware, Giant Desk. He can't protect you forever.
He did humor me however, a few weeks ago when I convinced him that we should spend one of his few days off reconfiguring the master bedroom. I actually ran with the IKEA fabric frame idea (buyer beware: the wood on those IKEA frames is much too hard to staple fabric into. You must use the tiny nails provided in the kit, and it is nearly impossible to keep the fabric flat while hammering. I wound up using cheap-o canvases from Michael's Craft (with my 40% off coupon, of course) instead). We donated the old headboard and he moved about 600 lbs of medical textbooks off of our shelves and into storage. Be sure to congratulate him on this feat when you next see him, it took a herculean effort to part himself from his precious books. The result was quite happifying to me (I reap great satisfaction from accomplishing projects that cost next-to-nothing), and rather than being appeased, I only hungered for more.
Now Craig, if your magical list could only provide me with a free/extremely cheap used piano, some large antique photo frames, mirrors and/or old maps that would look nice above the new/used table I would be forever thankful. In return I shall post pictures of a farm style table that has been painted black and distressed by my perpetually unhappy with the status quo self (though I have a feeling this condition will change once we finally graduate from rentals with plastic mini-blinds, warped vinyl linoleum and 80's era ceiling fans).
9 comments:
Photos, please! I was just at your house on Friday and none of these changes had occurred. Are you painting the chairs teal? And I did the fabric over canvases with great success. Only now I want to change the fabric.
Amy, the transition is still in process . . . as I finish I will update! And actually, the black chairs look much better with the table than I had hoped. Nothing is turning teal . . . yet!
Wow Mandy that is a lot of work. I wonder what it is about rearranging the house after midnight? It seems to hit me about that time also. Tell Michael Congratulations on moving teh books I can only imagine it was like loosing a limb to him, LOL.
You are so awesome to actually seek out, paint, distress, and accomplish these major feats. I only dream a little dream. I, too, have Craigslist-itis, I just move to slow to get the stuff I want!
Mandy-I hear you on the medical books. They are heavy and take up way too much room. Our last move Rob got rid of a lot of his which made me a very happy woman. So tell Mike good job on moving some books to storage. Maybe he will just forget about them and you can trash them when you move. Or maybe not. Hope you are enjoying your newly reorganized home!
I must have KSL Classified-itis (everyone duplicates posts on KSL and Craig's list, and I can't seem to figure out how to view pictures on the latter, so I don't go there). I admire that you sent your dreadmill to be recycled and not back to one of those places with the all too common "I bought this thinking I was going to get into shape, but I never used it and I need the space now" comments attached. You go girl!
"Blast Craig and his rotten list." Mandy, you're so funny! Thanks for the constant laughs.
Well, you know about my KSL Classifieds obsession, so I get your disease very well! I'm going to make Jordan read this - he swears he's never met anyone who rearranges furniture like I do (I think, in fact, your mom has made that comment to me, too!) but it sounds like you are right there with me! Speaking of which, I'm itching to change things up in my family room...now, can I wait until Jordan gets home to move the massive tv center...? :) Can't wait to see pictures!
I must lack something because I have no desire what so ever to rearrange my furniture, refininsh anything or look at Craigslist. I cant wait to see pictures. I curious to see the fabric you used on the canvas.
Post a Comment