Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Moniker

I've always been endlessly fascinated by what people name their kids. This fascination was compounded by a firm desire to name my kiddos something not weird/not too common after a few years of teaching elementary school and preschool. Did I ever tell you I once had a class with FOUR little Taylors in it? Only one was a girl. Two had the same last initial, which complicated things. That same class also had a Tyler and a Tyson. Jeez-a-loo that ruined all T names for me. Actually, my students ruined a lot of good names for me.

It's on my mind because Design Mom had this link up.

And then I found nameberry.com on a link from Apartment Therapy (via Oh Dee Doh, I think). So I checked out all three kid's names and I still really like them. We picked well. Though Alice's name was on a list of vampire names. Stupid Twilight. I named her first, Stephanie Meyer.

Don't even get me started on Utah baby names. Mandy is not unusual or exciting (though I do have my own Barry Manilow song). Still, thank you Mom and Dad, for naming me Mandy instead of Celestial Glory or Brighaminie.

Today's irony can be found in that I just barely posted about how extremely busy I am all the time, and here I am at 11:00 at night, eating California rolls from Trader Joe's for dinner and wasting my time looking at baby names on the internet. No, I'm not pregnant. Just odd.

And I need my husband to come home from the dumb hospital.

4 comments:

amydear said...

Is it worse that I am up at midnight reading it, then reading all the links, then considering our baby name list? At least I'm pregnant and in need of a baby name, right?

Parkside View said...

What do you think of the name Courtney picked for her daughter? (You do read cjane, right?) Ever Jane Kendrick...I think Ever is about to become the next big trend in names for girls thanks to Courtney's blog influence. It's kind of like the Oprah effect. Now, there's a name! Oprah. Or what her name was at first, Orpah. I better just stick with boy names. That's what I seem to be good at producing!

Swordfish said...

I love looking at names also. When we named Bowen we thought it was sooo orignial, and at the time it was, but in my mother's neighborhood there are 3 other Bowen's living within a block. I went 10 years wihtout hearing that name EVER and then boom, there are 3 little ones. Oh well. Colton is not so original, poor kid, Rainee is orignal and people call her Renee all the time, Mason is named after a jar, what can I say. Some of those Utah names are totally out of control, interesting side note is they consider Vonda an unusual name from Utah, poor grandma started the naming trend when she was born and didn't even realize it. And also my name is Charity, seriously, could my mother have picked a more "church" name for a girl? Seriously I get called everything BUT my name, Chastity is the most common, but I get called a lot of other variations of my name.

Jen said...

We all need to veg. Oh, I wish I could eat half of those cali rolls with you....I agree with the naming thing. Sheesh, people, think about how your kids will have to explain their names for the rest of their lives. Your kids have classic names (and so do mine, so they are in good company!)