Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Nuggets

I've been slow to update on the Nuggets. Mostly that is because I really don't know quite what to say. I feel humbled, knowing how many of my dear, dear friends have struggled with infertility. I'm thankful, but unsure why we have been so blessed . . . and at the same time, we are still so very, very overwhelmed.
There are moments every day where Michael and I look at each other in bewilderment and just say, "Twins."
This isn't going to be easy, particularly because it is already evident that there is a minor complication that may possibly turn into a major complication in the future, but then again . . . it may not. We are just praying every day that things keep moving along the way that they have been, and that Baby B is able to keep up with his or her brother or sister. My goal is 37 weeks, people. I'm keeping my eye on the prize. 37, 37, 37. I have ultrasounds scheduled every two weeks for what feels like the rest of my life. I've already farmed Thomas out for my appointments so frequently these past weeks that I think he's becoming confused about who his real mother is.

To answer a few FAQ's:

April.

The doctor originally thought they were fraternal. Now she thinks they might be identical. We just don't know. I am hoping for fraternal . . . it will be less risky for Baby B. But we will be happy with either as long as they are healthy.

We usually choose not to find out the gender, but this time I think we'd better be prepared.

Yes, I've been sick. Even into my second trimester . . . still sick. I feel lucky though, it could always be much worse.

We're so thankful to live in Portland right now, near some of the best medical care available in the world. We have so many close friends here, and some amazing family too. I feel so secure in knowing that we're being watched out for. Thank you all.

9 comments:

Tamy said...

Congraes again, you are in our thoughts and prayers and can't wait till you move closer. Take Care and I will check back often for more updates.

bontovi said...

Add me to the list of mommies for Thomas. Call us any time, any day. I can cook, clean, bake, whatevs... Love you Mandy!

Alisha B. Whitman said...

Wow. Congrats Mandy. We will add our prayers and hope all goes well and that you feel better ASAP.

Amy D said...

What?!!! We've been out of town, so I missed your big announcement. Mandy, that's so great! Seriously. I couldn't be happier for you. I'll keep you in my prayers. I wish I were there to watch your kids and bring you dinner when you're feeling so yucky. A huge congrats from the Dukes!!!

Jen said...

um, why has Thomas not been farmed to me??? You will do GREAT! You can do this!

Swordfish said...

It kills me that we are not closer to help during the pregnancy and right after BUT when you are reDy to move home i will be right there to help with the babies or unpacking, or whatever you need. I can alsi fly up for 4 days any month when Scott has a 6 day break, so let me know and I will be there.

Jared and Dani said...

Mandy,
I really think you should read this book I have, it is so great at letting you know the big milestones and how to help get the birth weight up... My kids were due in May, they came in April just 2 days shy of 35 weeks and oh so healthy... 5lb 14 oz. and 5 lb. 8 oz. I am assuming that the placenta is shared!?!? I was sick until week 19, but felt pretty great other than that. Let me know if you have questions or want to talk or want to borrow my book. laughs_lots@hotmail.com

Dani

Lanes said...

You know I already think of Thomas as one of my own, so keep on farming him over. We love it and we love you and the nuggets!

Mandy said...

Twins!! Awesome! You out of all people can handle it with your witty sense of humor! We will be praying for you and the nuggets! Hang in there!