I need to work on keeping my big mouth shut when it shouldn't be open. Therefore, my reso is to zip it, lock it and put it in my pocket. Especially when sometimes I have a tendency to babble. Like when I say "Blah, blah, blah, yackity shmackity," and a simple "Blah blah" would suffice. Like right now, maybe.
I'll probably try to eat less sugar too. My pancreas would probably appreciate that. Though, I usually don't eat TOO much . . . it just feels that way this soon after Christmas.
Your New Year's Reso could be to read this:
The Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
You'll be happy you did.
While I'm babbling . . .
Did you ever notice that some words just sound weird? Take "warmth" for instance. A friend pointed it out in high school, and I've never really been able to get over the word since. It sounds gross, the way people pronounce it, "Wahr-m-pth."
Also "nummy." Who made that one up? Ew. Nummy.
How did "ginormous" actually make it into the dictionary? It sounds like a word my four-year-old would have made up.
Some words coined in my youth (by whom, I don't know) that, in my opinion, should be in the dictionary are:
Kife- To steal secretly
Hork- To steal in plain sight of the victim
Lurve- When you really really love something (I know where this one came from, Woody Allen.)
Now I'm drawing a blank. We had some really great phrases in high school. Can someone please refresh my memory?
Webster, I'd like a word with you.
11 comments:
You are super hilarious, especially when you ramble, not that I am calling that a ramble...oops, I might have just stopped, too. OK, funny thing, I laughed so hard when I heard the word ginormous for the first time, which was LESS than five years ago, because I was sure it was made up...little did I know that it was a real word and the joke was on me. It's been too long since high school for me to remember any cool words, remember, I am MUCH older than you!
My sister thinks that moist and Ointment are gross words. I would have to agree.
I to am drawing a blank with wierd words from high school. You got ginormous....i'll have to think on it. Sorry about your previous post, I thought it was funny.
How about "Right On" or "Shove it"
"Oh My Gosh"???
I don't remember what phrases we said in High school, but I do remember you saying something about how your school lunch for the day made you think of "slank calf" after we had had a discussion about Upton Sinclaire's book, The Jungle. That was pretty gross!
(Isn't that such a funny thing to remember so vividly?)
Haha- my dad uses the word Lurve as a meaning of some dork who is just bumming around- or lurving around... interesting!
Lurp - a dumpy frumpy tool (not the kind you find in the woodshed). That one circulated in your circles thanks, I think, to the eldest Haws sibling. And I am with you all the way on nummy.
Thanks Amber, I forgot about "The Jungle" providing a wealth of disgusting analogies. I also haven't thought about the word "lurp" in ages . . . I'll admit it was Betsy who turned me off to the word "warmth" though.
Some others:
grody, rad, gnarly, to the max, and a number of made up curses beginning with the letter "f".
And Emily, moist is a disgusting word. I don't think I'll ever be able to say it again. Moist. Ew.
I laughed when you talked about "ginormous" - Jordan thought is wasn't really a word, either. Just one that was from the movie "Elf". He even corrected me when I used it once as a joke - it killed the joke dead. But I won after I showed it to him in the dictionary!
Also, "slicker than snot" is a phrase that my family says a lot, and Jordan just cringes every time! He says it just grosses him out to hear that!
Remember when everyone would say "that's the bomb". What a stupid phrase, but I think I probably said it my fare share. Other words: dork, nincunpoop, putski (Jen really doesn't like this one), "sickun buh duh duh duh duh duh" (I think that one was made up by Deven).
Jordan
Anyfing. That's exactly what Connor says too. Must be the age. And hey, we're reading that book for our book club next month. Now I'm even more excited! Last but not least, Clint really hates the word "moist."
Post a Comment